Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Slant of Light

Once again I'm using the prompts from Amanda each day of December! Yesterday's was Slant of Light

Slant of Light #writealm Slant of Light #writealm

As December dawns, the golden light of Autumn gives way to the slate gray light of early winter.

Around here the sky has been gray for almost a week now. The change in light is most evident to me as I sit in my chair near the window, looking out over the historical cemetary. Just a few weeks ago the sunlight was streaming through the yellow maple leaves. Now those branches are bare against the sky as the sun tries to break free of the clouds surrounding it. 

As I look I think of all those beneath the headstones, gone hundreds of years ago now. Between the stones, the old stone wall and the Puritan gray of the sky I am transported back in time for a moment to what used to be here where my house is. All the living that has taken place on this land. And I realize that the same sky, the same sun, possibly even a few of the same tress, have been here since the beginning. The way the light streams down is no different today then it was when the first person was buried here. 

4 comments:

  1. so very true. there is definitely something about this time of year that gets me thinking about such things - the passage of time, connections - maybe it's the difference in the light and how it reveals different things than the bright sun of summer does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, I have loved walking through cemeteries and wondering about the past people, their families and happiness. I hope the sun shines one day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love the idea, and reality, that it really is the same sky, same sun. The light has been breathtaking recently. Gorgeous words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been noticing the change in light as I leave my office in the evening. Definitely less of it! I too wonder who lived on our land - how things have changed. It's great to live in such a historical region.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by & comment! I will try my best to respond to all comments here in the comment box!